How to drive responsible consumers into bankruptcy:
1. Company A builds Condo building. Sells some units to consumers at normal prices.
2. Market collapses. No one is willing buy the remaining units.
3. Company B buys the remaining unsold units at firesale prices.
4. Company B is now the majority homeowner in the building and controls the HOA.
5. Company B votes to raise HOA fees through the roof, creating a massive financial burden for the remaining minority residents.
6. The remaining residents cannot sell their units because the market has collapsed and they cannot reasonably afford the HOA fees. They are left with no choice but immediate foreclosure.
7. Company B makes short sale offers on the properties, hoping to collect the whole building.
This is one of the most fucked up stories in this housing mess.
Atlantic Station condo owner: HOA fees more than mortgage - CBS Atlanta 46